Israel justifies arrests of Palestinians after images showing stripped men detained in Gaza

Israel responded to the fierce criticism provoked by degrading photographs and videos showing dozens of naked men, some of them blindfolded, captured by the Israeli army on December 7.

 The government took responsibility for the mass arrests carried out by the army in the Gaza Strip the previous day. This clarification came as human rights organizations reported the disappearance of civilians in Gaza while the army extended its control in the north of the enclave. Israel was responding to fierce criticism, provoked by the release of degrading photographs and videos showing dozens of men, young and old, in their underwear, hands tied, sometimes blindfolded, rounded up in the north of Gaza and, for some, transported in a military vehicle to an unknown destination.

“We’re talking about military-age men who were discovered in areas that civilians were supposed to have evacuated weeks ago,” government spokesperson Eylon Levy told the BBC. Levy said the individuals would be questioned, to “work out who indeed was a Hamas terrorist and who is not.” He said arrests had been made in Jabaliya and Shejaiya, two towns in the west of the Gaza Strip that Israeli infantry have been trying to gain control of since December 1 and which had previously faced intense aerial bombardments.

‘Human shields’

You can share an article by clicking on the share icons at the top right of it.
The total or partial reproduction of an article, without the prior written authorization of Le Monde, is strictly forbidden.
For more information, see our Terms and Conditions.
For all authorization requests, contact syndication@lemonde.fr.

https://www.lemonde.fr/en/international/article/2023/12/11/israel-justifies-arrests-of-palestinians-after-images-showing-stripped-men-detained-in-gaza_6331848_4.html

The Palestinian Center for Human Rights, a leading organization in the Gaza Strip, cited several witnesses who said that one of its investigators, Ayman Lubad, was among hundreds of people arrested on the morning of December 7 in Beit Lahia. The London-based Qatari media outlet The New Arab also claimed that one of its journalists, Diaa Al-Kahlout, had also been arrested. The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) reported that dozens of men aged over 15 had also been arrested the same day in a local school where civilians were seeking shelter, then stripped, restrained and transported to an unknown location. Two days later, on December 9, the office reported several dozen new arrests in this school. Some of them have since been released, claiming to have been ill-treated.

The army initially focused on other images broadcast on the same day that supposedly showed Hamas fighters laying down their weapons before joining a group of undressed men raising their identity cards in the air. The army’s chief of the general staff Herzi Halevi said many of the men are Hamas militants who are surrendering. “This is a sign their network’s falling apart, a sign we need to press harder,” Halevi said.

Yosi Yehoshua, a military correspondent for the daily Yediot Ahronoth, said on Sunday that these images were “very important: they show that the effort is bearing fruit,” while the growing number of military casualties in Gaza “weighs heavily on the Israeli public’s perception of the war.” The Israeli army on Monday reported that 101 soldiers had been killed since the start of the ground operation.


It’s been more than 50 years since the Vietnam War ended.

It’s been more than 50 years since the Vietnam War ended.

But for the combat nurses who served there, the details remain as sharp in their minds as the needles they…

Read More


the partial remains of Andrew Comyn “Sandy”

the partial remains of Andrew Comyn “Sandy”

After 100 years of speculation surrounding his fate, the partial remains of Andrew Comyn “Sandy” Irvine are believed to have…

Read More


Atlantic slave trade.

Atlantic slave trade.

The Atlantic slave trade or transatlantic slave trade involved the transportation by slave traders of enslaved African people to the…

Read More


barbaric” mob attack in Nigeria’s southern town of Uromi, in Edo state

barbaric” mob attack in Nigeria’s southern town of Uromi, in Edo state

ABUJA, March 28 (Reuters) – At least seven suspected kidnappers were set ablaze and killed in a “barbaric” mob attack…

Read More


The Holocaust (1933-1945)

The Holocaust (1933-1945)

The Holocaust A genocide during World War II, where six million Jews and millions of others were systematically murdered by…

Read More


The Black Death: The Greatest Catastrophe Ever

Ole J Benedictow describes how he calculated that the Black Death killed 50 million people in the 14th century, or 60…

Read More


The BLACK DEATH: 1346-1353 epidemic

The BLACK DEATH: 1346-1353 epidemic

The estimated number of deaths ranges from 75 million to 200 million, or between 30 percent and 50 percent of…

Read More


Part 3. Cannibalism in the Chinese great famine 1959.

Part 3. Cannibalism in the Chinese great famine 1959.

There are widespread oral reports, though little official documentation, of human cannibalism being practiced in various forms as a result…

Read More


Part2. Death toll The Great Chinese Famine

Part2. Death toll The Great Chinese Famine

The excess mortality associated with the famine has been estimated by former CCP officials and international experts, with most giving…

Read More


(Part 1) The Great Chinese Famine

(Part 1) The Great Chinese Famine

The Great Chinese Famine  ‘three years of great famine’ was a famine that occurred between 1959 and 1961 in the People’s Republic of China (PRC).  Some…

Read More

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *